Welcome to Jazz Town U.S.A.! That’s what I love to call the town that The University of North Texas and The six-time Grammy-nominated One O’Clock Lab Band call home: Denton, Texas. Recently coming in at number one on Business Insider’s list of The Top Ten Small Towns in America, “The Little Apple” is starting to show the entire country what we have all known for years. Denton is a hotbed for creativity and the arts in general. A community fueled by an influx of the best talent in the world via UNT as well as a tradition of local artists second to none, Denton really is “Jazz Town U.S.A.”
This site will be a place where everyone can get together and keep track of the progress on Lab 2013. I will post video-blogs regularly of rehearsals, discussions with the composers, and updates on the CD Artwork contest.
The what, the what?
We are having a contest to choose the artwork for the Lab 2013 CD cover! Focusing specifically on Dentonite-artists.
The One O’Clock Lab Band’s new recording: Lab 2013 will contain music that reflects the sights sounds and vibe of the country’s best small town: Denton! By having a Dentonite as the artist for our CD cover artwork, we want to bring the community into the studio to be a part of the process itself and to offer up a big ol’ “thank you” for all the years of support and great music!
Here’s how it works:
Deadline for submissions: Monday, April 22 via e-mail or Dropbox (contact me via this site to get my personal e-mail). Voting takes place on Wednesday, April 24. Winner announced on Thursday, April 25.
1. Send me an e-mail of intent:
2. You must be a current or former resident of Denton (UNT students present-and-past qualify!)
3. The artwork must reflect your impressions of Denton.
4. You will need to provide an electronic mock up of the artwork. Included “watermarks” are fine to protect intellectual property. Make your mock-up submission a high res jpeg of your vision for the cover, the back and the CD itself. Specific dig-pack dimensions for the final version are as follows:
Six panel digipak w/ diagonal pocket. Include the full 6 panel digipak, CD face, and standard booklet front and back pages.
5. The members of the One O’Clock will vote on all of the mock ups on April 24, 2013.
6. The winning selection will then become part of the amazing One O’Clock tradition itself! (t-shirts, swag merchandise in general, posters, websites, and of course: thousands of CDs!)
7. AND, the winner will receive a $250.00 honorarium (hey, we’re talking ARTISTS here…there needs to be some bread involved, you dig?)
For your inspiration, here are the titles of the tunes currently slated to appear on the project. More to be added soon:
1. Denton Standard Time
3. Somewhere on the Thirty Third Parallel
4. The Hens on Panhandle Street
5. Will or Would? (as in Willow Wood street)
6. Take The A-Train (an arrangement of the Strayhorn classic, but titled for our A-Train)
I look forward to celebrating our very own Jazz Town U.S.A. with all of you!
Steve Wiest: Director of The One O’Clock Lab Band